Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Day 285- Monday, December 21, 2009

Day 285:


Ambivalence # 2

You'll remember # 1 from last Wednesdsay; I believe a number of you got some weird, naughty vibes from that one; hmmm, understandable. Good good.

I've had some time to think about what I wanted to say regarding these photographs. What I really want to convey is the paradoxical nature of the ambivalent undoing. At some point, everyone becomes torn between poles in daily life, finding themselves scattered mentally and emotionally, or pulling apart in different directions. Sometimes the situation and its implications are benign, other times, not so.

This subject is very personal to me and so I will continue to appear in the series as it progresses.

I'm also drawn towards "the bedroom" as the stage for these photographs. I believe all of our bedrooms are to some degree an extension of ourselves. Our bedrooms play an integral role in our lives; they are a sanctuary, a place of rest and healing, a place of intimacy where we feel safe to share our deepest selves. On the other hand, our bedrooms can become a Hell, a place of isolation, stagnation and great pathos.

The relationship between a human being and that place which is such an influential part of them is a curious one, worth contemplation.

Here we go...

1 comment:

Rebecca Cairns said...

I love it.... totally worth all the hassle, haha