Sunday, February 14, 2010

Day 340: Sunday, February 14, 2010

Day 340:


Happy Valentines Day:
The Message In The Cucumber

I fully believe in coincidence, and I definitely, definitely believe that sometimes, things come together in astounding ways, seeming to tell us something.

What I find most beautiful about this idea is that maybe, destiny, or fate, or meaning, are completely illusory crap, invented to rationalize and explain our situations, behaviors or perspectives, that astronomically improbable circumstances simply come and go in complete meaninglessness.

I mean, what's truly more romantic: something happening because it was supposed to, predictably, or an instant where something beautiful and huge is produced within the staggeringly vast nothingness of infinite potential.

- - -

This morning I was making breakfast, which happened to be cucumber + creamcheese on a bagel - a definite favorite lately. I sliced into the cucumber and discovered this heart shape in the center. I thought, Wow, on Valentines no less....

I cut the cucumber in a few very close spots, and didn't find the same pattern in the seeds. Maybe it's really mundane - messages from the universe in cucumbers- but the beauty in the coincidence is hard to overlook.

So that's how I see it.

Coincidence is beautiful, because it is meaningless, yet still occurs.